How to get your ham radio license

To serve our community as part of CARES, you need to obtain an amateur radio license. New hams typically get the Technician class license which will allow you access to all ham bands with frequencies of 50 MHz or higher.

The test for this license consists of 35 multiple-choice questions on regulations and technical radio topics. You have to get 26 or more correct to pass.

There are several ways to study or prepare for the Technician class license test:
1) Use study material from the Amateur Radio Relay League (ARRL)
The ARRL prints many books and guides to help you study, they can be purchased from their
website and many other vendors like Ham Radio Outlet (HRO), and Amazon.

2) Study using online practice tests:

3) Use Mobile Apps:
Both Google Play store and Apple Store have free or low-cost apps to drill you the test questions. Is one I like
 4) “Ham Crams”:

There are several groups (including CARES) that offer study sessions (usually free) (typically over a
couple of evenings) with a testing session following.

5) YouTube:
David Casler KE0OG     RECOMMENDED
 Ham College